Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Oh India...

Chinese pose in front of Chinese fish nets.
We are in the southern state of Kerela, India for the next few weeks going where the wind may take us. What can I say about India? For starters, Jefferson was right about two things. One, it is an assault on all of your senses. Two, he did not think I understood what Kerela would be like when I kept saying it would be beautiful and tropical. It definitely has the exact same good and bad as the other parts of India I have seen (i.e. Beautiful colors, great smells, horrible smells, poverty, etc.). But sometimes I don't want to breathe in through my nose but I am also afraid to keep my mouth open. It IS tropical and I have high hopes for more beauty as we travel more through Kerela (we have only been in Kochi so far).

I am super happy to say I have liked some of the food! Two whole dishes so far. And I don't just think its because I was starving. Masala Dosa and Chana Bathura (even though this one has chick peas).

Cool graffiti in Fort Kochi.
Now, the last time we were here, we were both asked to be in lots of pictures and were stared at a ton.  I'm getting my fair share of that here in the south but nowhere NEAR as much as Jefferson. This guy is like a celebrity! One pair of dudes even pulled over to ask if he would be in their advertisement. He politely declined, so I guess there goes his modeling career. 

Yesterday we took a ferry over to Fort Kochi island (land of many goats) and somehow walked by the fort twice but never actually saw it. We may be the best tourists ever. We did, however, catch a Kathakali show - which is translated story-play - and is expressive dancing and acting using facial expressions but no words. I really enjoyed it and it was cool to see them apply the elaborate makeup before the show began.
Goats enforcing "Post no bills" rule.
Kathakali make-up application!

We are off to our next destination today to continue sweating from every last pore on our bodies,  practice eating one handed, head waggling and counting staches. The mustache is alive and well in India. Woo!
AFT.

No comments:

Post a Comment