Thursday, January 8, 2009

Xela


No, that is not the name of some character from a sci-fi book (although it doesn't sound bad...). That's the name of the town we are staying in right now about 4 hours outside of Guatemala City. We are staying with a family and taking Spanish classes during the day. The family has a dog, a parrot and a fish. I don't want to touch any of them, but the dog loves Jeff.

Jeff just showed me how to change my keyboard to an Enlgish one, so sorry to anyone I emailed before. This is muuuuch better.

No one in the familiy and none of the teachers will speak English to you, so it's immersion all the way. I know that's great for learning and all but it makes me slightly nervous. We'll see how I feel two weeks from now. Each afternoon they have an activity for us and tonight we're doing Salsa lessons. Tomorrow we're going to a glass blowing factory and Saturday on a hike of a mini volcano. They aren't mandatory, but they sound like a good time so we're in.

We've got hot water! Which makes me love the family we're staying with way more than the dirty hostel the first night. DIRTY. DIRTY!! And full of hippies - and we all know how I feel about that. :)

The towns are full of McD's, BooBoo Jangs/BK's, Pizza Huts, Dominos and Wendy's. But we eat every meal with our family so none of that. I am getting my fill of beans - oh yeah! We had some strange soup today that had a chunk of beef and some strange beans that are not the good beans I know and love - but I ate it and per usual make Jeff finish any meal I can't finish on my own.

We've taken pictures but can't transfer them yet - we will soon though, promise. Don't be shocked - I chopped all my hair off - but it's still me. We also adopted the tradition Rocko told us about where you take a picture every day at the same time no matter what you're doing. 6:09 pm my alarm goes off and we take a picture - either of each other or together. Yesterday we were having a beer (gallo cervesa) and resting from a long walk to the town square. Today we'll probably be dancing, so we'll get someone else to take a picture for us.

Hope everyone is doing well! Talk to you soon!

2 comments:

  1. Hello from your sladies!

    - S,D,C,T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics! Is it called a chicken bus because the driver like to play chicken?

    If someone (not me, of course) would like to send you a care package, where would one send it? And what would you like in it?

    ReplyDelete