Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Goodbye Pana, Hello Antigua


We´ve finally left Panajachal. Actually, I´ll kind of miss it. Since we spent so much time there we found the best restaurants and cafes to hang out at and met some really cool people. So if you´re ever in Pana, ask us for recommendations. :)
Now we´re in Antigua and I´m not entirely sold on it yet. It´s a bigger town and very touristy, which has it´s good and bad parts. It´s kinda dirty in a way and yet they´ve hidden away all the mangy dogs. Sad. This time I was lucky enough to step in little boy pee - who knew I had to watch my step when walking down the sidewalk. Toddlers will be toddlers, I guess. Ew.
We were going to go up Volcano Pacaya because it has real lava flowing!! But the guide said there´s not much to see right now and it´s better to wait until there´s more flowing lava. Too bad too - because they have zero safety features and we could walk right up to real lava. Oh yeah! Next time. So we´re being lazy for a day and then heading up to another village with has a hotel called Earth Lodge. They supposedly have tree house cabins! FUN. I´m excited about that.
Then we´ll make our way up to see my roommate from college, Anna Banana. No idea what route we´ll take yet - Mexico, Belize to Mexico, etc. - but we´ll figure it out on the way and let you know how it all goes with pictures to boot!

3 comments:

  1. So, let me get this straight. Jeff is taking you to the lava fields which have "zero safety features"? You who, on a regular basis, step in mangy dog poo and children's urine. Am I the only one who thinks he may be trying to kill you?!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to that McDonald's! And I totally love that there are no safety features in Central America. You could never climb up temples, etc, in America. Are you in Mexico yet or lost in the Peten?! Can't wait to hear what you thought of Tikal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, we decided to skip the volcano. I only brought one pair of shoes and they said the lava burns the soles. Not worth it. Jeff is foiled again!

    ReplyDelete