Monday, February 9, 2009

Copan, Honduras


We finally exited Guatemala for a short time to visit Copan, Honduras and see the Mayan Ruins there. We also had a fantastic tour guide in the form of some new found friends from Holland. And Austin Powers doesn´t like the Dutch! Crazy talk, these people were tons of fun.
Lots of pictures up on Photobucket (see link in posts below). It was our first trip to any ruins and won´t be our last, but I really enjoyed it. I also only know half there is to know about Copan´s ruins since our ¨Tour Guide¨ took the liberty of making a lot of it up - which I think made it a ton more fun. What we do know is the coolest ruler in all of Mayan history is 18 Rabbit. He´s so cool there´s a card game named after him. Well, one in the works, anyway.
I had another run in with mangy dog poo, but I´m really trying to watch my step these days and hope that will be the last. I won´t count on it, though.
Now we´re back in Guatemala and for the first time in a hot area. It´s muggy and I´m sweating a ton - makes me kinda miss the highlands. But in a few days we´ll finally visit Tikal so the mosquitos and damp everything is worth it for now.
We´re in Rio Dulce and staying at a river front hostel so we have to take a boat to get anywhere. Kinda fun - and we contemplated taking one of the free ¨canoes¨ out onto the river, but I really don´t want to fall in that merky water and the free canoes look pretty ancient. We´re off tomorrow for a place called Finca Ixobel on our way to Flores. Should be a fun stop. Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment