Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Tortugas!

Jeff and I went diving together today for the first time - SO FUN!  Actually, our instructor mentioned that we sure looked like we were having a good time together and I'm not sure if she was chiding us or not.  We did silly things like underwater kiss and cupcake and tried to use sign language to communicate but mostly just swam around like goons.  We got to see a bunch of sea turtles!  They were beautiful and big.  We also saw some big old grouper fish (just really big fish) and supposedly an eel but the current was whisking me along too fast for me to stop and see that one.
 
What I really wanted was a harpoon gun.  Just in case - you know?  What if sharks attacked?  One of the instructors (the not fun one) cut her finger right before we got in the water.  Thanks alot - why don't you bleed everywhere and attrack predators!?  See?  She was not fun.  But if I had a harpoon gun then all would be well.  No one seems to sell them here but I'll keep trying.  It would go nicely with my machete - if I ever get one of those either.
 
So we haven't had a lot to update about since we've been just relaxing, going to the beach and reading a lot.  I'm all different shades of pale right now from extremely pale to really pale to almost pigmented - and I'm working on evening it all out.  A few fun things we have encountered on our relaxing days are:
 
1. The best idea for dishes EVER.  They wrap the dishes (at oh so awesome restaurants) in plastic bags - like mini trash bags - that way your food doesn't actually touch the plate and presto!  No dishes to be done.  Genius.  Or genious as some would say.  You know who you are.
 
2. Starbucks.  It's great for many reasons (the obvouis being that it's yummy and has chai tea - mmmm) but also because they have soap in the bathrooms and the Xcelorator!  That is the coolest freaking hand drying device on the PLANET.  I'm easily amused.
 
3. Store clerks.  Or really, the guys trying to get you to come into their tiny booths/shops/tiendas.  Some are funny - like when they say "i have what you neeeeeed", "almost free", "no cover charge today" and "duuuude".  But some are just plain obnoxious and rude - one of which I almost pummeled yesterday but Jeff held me back as I glared at him and he said "yeah - you!"  Oh a harpoon gun would be nice.
 
4.  Pizza and Champagne.  Is that not a combination to die for?  This restaurant posts ads everywhere but for a while all I could find was the promise of said pizza and champagne and no address.  But we finally found it and oh yes - it was glorious.
 
Tonight we are off to a restaurant called "Karen's" which is sure to be the best food in town.  For the next few days I'm going to focus all my efforts on figuring out how to have the best darn St. Patty's Day while down here.  I don't know what they do to celebrate it here but I'm sure going to find out.  I'll need to buy something green to wear for starters.  Hooray for shopping!
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Be cautious about that "Karen" restaurant. I hear the dishes aren't cleaned on a regular basis. Must be something about the name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you did silly underwater things like "cupcake"? what does that mean? did you attempt to eat cupcakes? *confused*

    how strange that some restaurants would wrap their dishes in plastic. very practical, but i would imagine detracts somewhat from the..um..ambience?

    lol @ the store clerks - "i have what you need"? just what are they selling in those booths?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever we walk into a shop in Mexico they always tell us to "get a TV". I'm not sure what they're getting at...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just looking at your photos, especially the one from 3/7. What do they sell at Ass Island?

    ReplyDelete