Thursday, March 5, 2009

DiveMaster KO


Ok, I'm not a divemaster - but I am now certified as an Open Water Scuba Diver. FUN! I've gotten to see a barracuda, a blow fish, and a HUGE sting ray. My instructor didn't see him at first and I let out a little underwater yelp and then the thing went gliding away. Neat but I like it better when I see them on the discovery channel and there's no chance I'll get Steve Irwined.


I also had to do an awesome swim test where I went out into the ocean and was supposed to swim back and forth between two ropes that lead out into the ocean. It didn't work so hot because in my swimming from the first to the second I didn't notice that I overshot the second one by FAR and just kept swimming. Took me a while to figure it out and by the time I did I was exhausted and thought I'd fail at the swim test - but it turns out I did more than needed so I'm good to go.

We're in Playa del Carmen and Jeff and I are going to do a fun dive together in a few days when his cold is gone. For now, I'm working on getting pigment and I treated myself to a DQ Blizzard (oh yeah they have that!) for passing my scuba exam. Go me. I'm tempted to get an underwater camera to capture all the fishies and us diving, but it probably wouldn't work as well as Banana's camera did in Merida and certainly not in the dark depths we'll be going to. Oh well, surface pics are fun too.

They sell loads of Luchador masks here which makes me think of Nacho Libre. Love it. They also seem to only sell one size fits all outfits for women. I'm not sure why people say America is so tubby - people here are packing on the pounds, just in shorter stature. But maybe when they say "America" they mean all of it. McDonald's is a bargain deal here. Value meals are like 2 bucks - not that we would know anything about that (double cheese burger Wednesdays, mmmmm).


It's not our fault. We can't go outside much in the hot heat during the hours where my fragile skin will likely melt right off of me so we've become quite the mall rats and go see movies when it's too hot out. We do a lot of walking to find these malls (even though everyone seems to want us to take taxis to them - and I thought WE were the lazy ones) and other interesting places and luckily I haven't gotten burnt to a crisp yet! Hooray!

I like it here but I'm not sure how long we'll stay. They have funny places like a smoothy place called Fruti Yogurth - and I have a few challenges (given to me by Pau) that I must accomplish before we move on. Wish me luck! I'll keep you posted on how I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment