Thursday, February 18, 2016

Karen "Homemaker" Hansen

We went to the bank today so I could become a real person that can do things like pay the bills and guess what they put my occupation as? That's right, "Homemaker". I tried for, "Lady who Lunches" and I was given the suggestion, "bean quality assurance tester" - but alas, Homemaker it is. I'll try to figure out just what that means to me.

Amurica Night!
   
That's a real guy back there!














Ok, house is put together and we had our first ever - but hopefully not last - American (AMURICAN) party.  For some reason only Americans attended even though my invite told everyone that we'd serve Kraft Mac'n'cheese. Strange. This first installment of 'Merican awesomeness had a Tex Mex theme to it - quesadillas, five layer dip, buffalo chicken dip, and guacamole. No matter the theme, I'll always serve a bit of Mac'n'cheese, methinks. It just feels right.

Alfred, Sarah Wild and I celebrated National Pancake Day this week by going to our usual pub, Richard the First and eating maple bacon pancakes. This is the same place where Sarah Wild and I found Nessie (mini Loch Ness monster stuffed animal) and won a free scotch. They weren't going to serve pancakes until 4pm but since we're now regulars, they made some for us - HOW COOL IS THAT? And the pancakes were delicious. Breakfast for lunch is always a good idea. The three of us have also become quite the walkers - so we can explore all different neighborhoods and walk there to make it a tad more healthy.  One such walk took us up the very steep (ugh) hill to the Royal Observatory in Greenwich where I stood on the ol' prime meridian line. The Observatory is in the middle of a massive and very beautiful park that I'll take all visitors to - it's really amazing and the views are fantastic. HINT HINT. Who will be our first visitor?

 
Pancake Day!
Found Nessie!













In my attempt to do all the things in London, I said yes to going to a Mime festival a few weeks ago. Yes, you heard me. Mime Festival. Cat and I only attended one show and the "mimes" spoke a few times which I think is a bit unbecoming of a mime, but no one kicked them out of the festival. It was less of the creepy clown-like mimes that I was expecting and more of a major physically challenging show similar to Cirque du Soleil but very quiet and just using 20 foot poles (climbing them, swinging from them, walking on them, etc.). I totally appreciate the strength it took but couldn't get into the art behind it as much. Glad I went, though!

We also all attended an art gallery show of a painter that was doing a Night/Day exhibit featuring animals - and there were live animals at the show! A few bunnies, a giant turtle, and a mini alligator called a Spectacled caiman. It was a pretty cool show but and as you can see, the art really spoke to us. Then we headed to the brand new pub that opened about a five minute walk from our place and it's AMAZING! It's right on the Thames, is beautifully decorated and has good food and drink. We're all working on becoming regulars there.

I found a good burger place but I am still on the search for good bacon.





No comments:

Post a Comment