Thursday, January 21, 2016

I'm a painter! And a cook!

Although I may have spent part of this morning with my hands completely covered in purple paint, I think I'm doing an ok job. Who knew the third paint I used would be the NON-water soluble one? I didn't! But I found out rather quickly when trying to clean off the brush. I was envisioning having to walk to the nearest hardware store with purple sticky hands and ask for their help, but luckily I had one clean pinky, access to the internet and olive oil in the house. PHEW. All is well and my Ikea furniture is transforming into SASSY furniture.

This whole learning to cook thing is going well too thanks to my slow cooker/crock pot and Sarah Wild's tutelage. I have chopped several onions, observed how to fry an egg, and helped in the preparation of chili, several soups, a lamb shoulder, baking a whole chicken, and I made Jefferson's Broccoli-Quinoa-Goat Cheese recipe all by myself. I've been informed of the proper tea etiquette but I don't quite get it myself and I'm positive I'm doing it wrong so once I know more I'll report back. Speaking of that chili. Maybe, perhaps, Jefferson and I thought that the "chili powder" that Ruth and Sarah Wild had was regular, American flavor - but instead it turns out it was intense, Indian, crushed flaming hot pepper and MAYBE the recipe called for 2.5 tablespoons of it and MAYBE we all wanted to die while eating it. Maybe.


Me and the neighborhood boys.


My feet are constantly cold because all I brought with me are my slip-on chucks, but that's about to change since (1) we get our shipment tomorrow so all of my lovely, lovely shoes will be mine once again and (2) it's supposed to get warmer next week (up to the 50's!).

In an attempt to do more and try new things I showed up randomly to a volleyball league last night that I was not signed up for and they let me sub on a team. It was fun and a good level of play but MAN do I miss my team from Chicago. And bacon. I miss bacon. Real, Amurican bacon. Chicago volleyball and bacon go hand in hand, see.

Jefferson and I took the river boat to a coworker's Portuguese themed party the other night and it was a really great ride that I highly recommend. You get to see all of the London bridges and tons of sights (big ben, the london eye, etc.). Plus the party was fun and had great food. I am, perhaps, consuming too much cheese. But is there really such a thing as too much cheese? I think probably not.

I'll post pics of the apartment as soon as the paint is dried and our shipment is all put in it's place. Ta ta for now, meine watermelons.

1 comment:

  1. we miss you, too!!!! i can't believe you are cooking. take pictures of your food!

    ReplyDelete